Hello everyone. Welcome back in Hong Kong after the summer break!
DIYBIO Hong Kong is off to a great start and we will build on this to bring Biology to everyone in Hong Kong.
The following events are planned for the near future and we hope to see all of you there:
1) We will be joining the fight against Zika: https://www.facebook.com/events/1725220037743310/
2) We will be learning about microbiology while making yogurt on Thursday the 8th of September.http://www.meetup.com/DIYBIOHK/events/233818741/
3) Scott Evans will share the Hong Kong genome project: Bauhinia Genome in our second “Let’s Talk Biology” event. https://www.eventbrite.hk/e/lets-talk-bio-hong-kong-bauhinia-genome-project-tickets-27510586906
Please keep an eye on both the Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/DIYBIOHongKong/ and the Meetup page http://www.meetup.com/DIYBIOHK/ for announcements of other events as they are scheduled.
Thank you for everyone who came to our past events and helped to make them successful!
1) We held a 3D microscopy” event in partnership with Looking Glass and MakerBay on 16 June.
2) We made some great strawberry DNA cocktails
3) We learned from Professor King Chow about “Sensing trace minerals in the soil” during our first “Let’s Talk Biology” event on July 28.
4) We had an information session on what is DNA Barcoding by Gert.
5) Maria told us more about iGEM
6) We cooked delicious food and observed it under the microscope – twice!
To see more photos of these events please visit our Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/DIYBIOHongKong/
In terms of equipment the here is a list of what we have currently – some of it was bought while some of was made:
1) PCR machine
2) Laminar cabinet
4) Mini centrifuge
5) Micro pipets – 2 sets of 3
7) Some Glassware
8) Digital scale
9) 2 Compound microscopes
10) Gel electrophoresis tank
11) Blue LED transilluminator for viewing DNA bands after gel electrophoresis
Some of our members are also in the process of building 3D Bio-printers.
If you are willing to donate to our lab, we will greatly appreciate any old lab equipment. We are also looking for an old microwave.
We are getting ready for the Barcode Hong Kong Project. The pieces we need to proceed are all falling into place! Would you like to help us set up the Indiegogo campaign? Please let us know! We need people with web design know how as well as people who can make great videos. If you can’t do one of those two things – come help too as your ideas will be most welcome!
Further in the pipeline we are also planning a Forensic Science workshop for secondary school students.
Come bring your ideas and enthusiasm! Let’s all work together to spread the wonder of Biology throughout Hong Kong!